Samsung Kies does not recognize Galaxy S (with Android 2.1) even though the phone is properly connected to the PC. If your Android crashes while connecting, then this might not be a solution for you. If not here are some troubleshooting steps.
What Could Go Wrong?
- Your phone is not in "kies mode"
- Windows drive for your phone is not properly installed
- You are not running TWlauncher
- Kies errors/OS errors and what not
First check if you phone is in "Kies mode" when you connect it to the PC via USB.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > USB Settings
- Check if you have selected Kies or Ask every time option
The third reason could be that you are using some other launcher application than Samsung's stock laucher - TWlauncher. For me this was the problem. I was running Go Launcher Ex (it's a really cool app by the way) instead of the TWlauncher and Kies do not recognize the phone - no warnings, no error messages. After uninstalling Go Launcher Ex :(, everything is working perfectly now. If you know a way to keep Go Launcher Ex and connect to Kies, please let me know.
Finally if nothing works first try restarting Galaxy S and PC. If that also fail, try reinstalling kies